Jakarta: US knew of Indonesian anti-communist massacre

This file photo taken on March 24, 1950 shows President Sukarno receiving officers of the battalion Worang at the palace Gambir in parting. AFP

.

JAKARTA (Reuters) – The US government had intimate knowledge of the mass killing of alleged communists in Indonesia in the mid-1960s even as it failed to publicly reveal the slaughter, newly declassified US documents show.

The documents also reveal Indonesian army intermediaries told Western embassies they were considering toppling then-president Sukarno less than a fortnight after the killing of six generals by rebel military personnel that sparked the bloodletting.

The murder of the generals on September 30, 1965, is still widely depicted as an attempted communist coup against Sukarno.

The murders were used as a pretext for an anti-communist pogrom by Indonesia’s military and Islamic groups that led to at least 500,000 deaths.

One of the worst massacres of the 20th century, the killings in 1965 and 1966 have never been officially investigated and perpetrators have never faced justice.

Indonesia, the world’s largest Muslim-majority country, still has periodic bouts of anti-communist hysteria. Last month, a meeting by human rights activists and victims of the anti-communist purge was shut down after Islamists and nationalists rioted outside the venue.

One cable from the US embassy in Jakarta to the Department of State, written three months after members of the communist party, the PKI, were first targeted, said there were “an estimated 100,000 PKI deaths”.

In Medan, on the island of Sumatra, clerics from the Muslim group Muhammadiyah urged members to kill communists, according to a telegram from the US consul.

“‘Conscious’ PKI members are classified as lowest order of infidel, the shedding of whose blood is comparable to killing chicken,” the consul said in one report.

Muhammadiyah youth group chairman Dahnil Anzar said the documents showed “nothing new” but such conflict should not happen again.

A US consular officer in the city of Surabaya, in East Java, said in a telegram members of Ansor, the youth wing of the Nahdlatul Ulama Islamic organisation, were responsible for “widespread slaughter” and they thought killing communists was a “ticket to heaven”.

“Army is quietly releasing nightly 10 to 15 prisoners to Muslims for execution,” the official in Surabaya said in another dispatch.

Abdul Rochman, secretary general of Ansor, said the group’s involvement in the killings of 1965 was a “form of self-defence”.

“[The PKI] carried out provocative activities like aggressive recruitment and went further by insulting our imams, poisoning and killing our members, burning mosques,” he said. “We believe the NU’s reaction was relatively measured and not disproportionate.”

Indonesia’s chief security minister, Wiranto, declined to answer questions.

Army deputy chief of staff, H Siburian, said he had not seen the documents so could not comment.

Mr Rochman, from NU’s Ansor, said he supported any move for dialogue and reconciliation.

“We must make sure all voices are heard –  NU’s voice, the victims’ voices, the children of suspected communists.”

Phelim Kine, deputy Asia director of Human Rights Watch, said redress for victims was “long overdue”.

The US embassy did not respond to requests for comment.

Courtesy: Khmer Times | Reuters

>

NOTE : All photographs, news, editorials, opinions, information, data, others have been taken from the Internet ..aseanews.net | aseanews@hotmail.com |

For comments, Email to :
Aseanews.Net | aseanews@yahoo.com  | Contributor

It's only fair to share...Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someonePrint this page