ASEANEWS HEADLINE | ZAMBOANGA CITY, Philippines: Shipping firm’s fleet grounded over sinking

At yesterday’s briefing in this city, acting Transportation Secretary Giovanni Lopez issued the 10-day suspension order./ Philippine Coast Guard / Facebook

.

WATCH VIDEO:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-2IHPBF_UE

PHILIPPINES Ferry Disaster BREAKING: Vessel With 350+ Onboard SINKS, 15 DEAD, Leaving Dozens Missing

A ferry carrying more than 350 people sank early Monday in the southern Philippines, killing at least 15 and leaving 28 missing, according to the coast guard. The MV Trisha Kerstin 3 sent a distress call at 1:50 a.m., over four hours after departing Zamboanga City in Mindanao. Rescuers have saved at least 316 people so far. The coast guard, Navy, and Air Force deployed ships and aircraft to the site, about five kilometers east of Baluk-Baluk Island in Basilan province.

.

.

ZAMBOANGA CITY, Philippines — The Department of Transportation (DOTr) has grounded the entire passenger vessel fleet of Aleson Shipping Lines following Monday’s sinking of M/V Trishia Kerstin 3 off Basilan that left 18 people dead and 10 others missing.

At yesterday’s briefing in this city, acting Transportation Secretary Giovanni Lopez issued the 10-day suspension order.

A safety audit and inspection of the company’s passenger vessels will be conducted by the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) and Maritime Industry Authority (Marina).

Technical wreck divers, meanwhile, will be deployed to check Trishia Kerstin 3’s wreckage sitting 76 meters below the surface, PCG Commandant Adm. Ronnie Gil Gavan said.

Divers and a remotely operated vehicle will attempt to locate the possible presence of 10 missing victims, including the ship’s captain, Gavan noted.

While Aleson’s passenger vessels are grounded, Lopez has directed the Marina to issue special permits to other shipping lines qualified to operate on routes served by Aleson.

Free rides will also be provided by the PCG, Lopez said.

Aleson’s permit will be revoked or suspended if investigators find violations, he stressed.

After the completion of search and rescue operations, Lopez said, “We will have a full-blown investigation. We are not just addressing the issue of Aleson in this particular incident, but we are also addressing the issue of enforcement, regulation and policy in the case of Marina and the transportation (department).”

.

The Marina, meanwhile, has been directed to provide a full inventory of all domestic shipping lines nationwide.

“We need to have documents ready to have a risk assessment, to find out what is lacking and what needs to be revised for the safety of the passengers,” Lopez said.

A department order and circular will be released in the next few days “to ensure similar incidents will not happen, or at least minimize them unless it is an act of God,” Lopez said.

With Aleson’s fleet grounded, hundreds of travelers were stranded and many swarmed to a competitor’s ticketing booth – a “necessary inconvenience” for passenger safety, Isabela City Mayor Sitti Djalia Turabin-Hataman said.

10 missing

Gavan has clarified that the number of missing passengers went down to 10, from earlier reports of 24, since 15 travelers did not proceed with their trip.

Rescued survivors are now at 316, with 18 casualties and 10 people missing, he said.

.

Among the 10 missing victims are eight crewmembers, a PCG personnel and another person.

 

Probe

Today's Front Page

Speculations of cargo overload and insufficient life vests and safety equipment, as well as questions about Trishia Kerstin 3’s age, will be part of the marine casualty investigation team’s probe, PCG spokesperson Noemie Cayabyab said.

The team from Manila will augment personnel in Zamboanga City, Gavan noted.

A safety certificate had been issued indicating Trishia Kerstin 3’s compliance with regulations, including seaworthiness and the provision of an adequate number of life jackets for the safety of passengers and crewmembers, Marina-9 regional director Jedini Nur Sibal confirmed.

Some survivors, however, said they were unable to secure a life vest. Others reportedly received a worn-out unit.

Investigators of the Philippine National Police (PNP) are ready to assist in the probe.

Acting PNP chief Lt. Gen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. said they want to help bereaved families who are seeking an explanation of the circumstances behind the tragedy.

.

For his part, Bagong Henerasyon party-list Rep. Robert Nazal has urged the House of Representatives to probe recent sea tragedies in Basilan, Davao and Scarborough Shoal.

Kusug Tausug party-list Rep. Aiman Tan also called for a House probe.

Oil sheen

Today’s paper: January 28, 2026

Meanwhile, an oil sheen, or a thin layer of oil on the surface of the water, has been spotted in the area where the vessel sank, the PCG noted.

“During the aerial survey, they saw an oil sheen. Accordingly, (it was carrying) 25,000 liters of diesel, a light oil, which has the possibility that it would evaporate,” Cayabyab said.

“The PCG would be ready to deploy oil spill booms. But as of now, it has the natural capability to disperse,” she assured.

Trisha Kerstin 3 encountered trouble amid rough sea conditions about 2.75 nautical miles northeast of Baluk-Baluk Island.

.

.

Aid

Daily Tribune (Philippines)

Financial aid and ready-to-eat food packs have been provided to survivors, according to the Department of Social Welfare and Development.

About 134 rescued passengers each received medical aid worth P5,000.

Two bereaved families received burial aid worth P10,000 under the Assistance to Individuals in Crisis Situation program.

Vice President Sara Duterte, for her part, extended her prayers and condolences to affected families. — Evelyn Macairan, Bella Cariaso, Jose Rodel Clapano, Emmanuel Tupas, Delon Porcalla, Christine Boton

Roel Pareño
– The Philippine Star

.
 .
reaction

 .
 .
It's only fair to share...Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someonePrint this page