What is the balance between personal freedoms and national security?
This is a recap of all 9 sessions – and how Captain Ri, a fictional character inspired by the hit Korean drama Crash Landing on You, embodied the fundamental issue of the law. What is the balance between personal freedoms and national security?
For the petitioners, what is unconstitutional is unconstitutional. They point to the most contentious clauses of the law, all of which have to do with supposedly turning over judicial functions and giving it to the executive anti-terror council, or all the president’s men.
For past podcast episodes:
- Episode 1 Part 1: Supreme Court’s most controversial decisions
- Episode 1 Part 2: Department of Justice’s evolving definition of warrantless arrests
- Episode 2: The rule of law in the time of the coronavirus
- Episode 3: Pandemic and the great wall of free speech
- Episode 4: Will petition to disclose Duterte health work?
- Episode 5: Legal difficulties of a prisoner mass release
- Episode 6: Breaking down the ABS-CBN franchise legal and political issues
- Episode 7: ABS-CBN and the 3 tangled branches of government
- Episode 8: Are extraordinary writs still effective in the time of Duterte?
- Episode 9: Dissecting anti-terror bill and threats to freedoms
- Episode 10: The problems with the Cybercrime Law
- Episode 11: Can we trust the gov’t panel probing drug war deaths?
- Episode 12: Why press freedom is legally protected
- Episode 13: What is People’s Initiative and will it work for ABS-CBN?
- Episode 14: The new push for death penalty
- Episode 15: A State of terror
- Episode 16: GCTA’s thorn – Do bad men deserve good things?
- Episode 17: Policies beyond body count of Duterte’s drug war
- Episode 18: Can we really bring Xi Jinping to the ICC?
- Episode 19: Philippine courts and the death of baby River
- Episode 20: Deep dive into anti-terror law IRR
- Episode 21: Supreme Court and the SALN challenge
- Episode 22: Where PH stands in fight for climate justice
- Episode 23: How to legally fight red-tagging
- Episode 24: Hope for the Rule of Law with Dino de Leon
- Episode 25: Summary of anti-terror law petitions
- Episode 26: May it please the Court – the anti-terror law orals
- Episode 27: Investigating Duterte’s drug war using hard data
- Episode 28: Your Honors, they are killing lawyers
- Episode 29: Choosing who sits on the Bench
- Episode 30: Lugaw, RA 11332, and common sense policy
- Episode 31: Understanding electoral protests
ANTI-TERRORISM ACT OF 2020
NEWSBREAK PODCASTS AND VIDEOS
[PODCAST] Beyond the Stories: Sino ang terorista sa ilalim ng anti-terror law?
[VIDEO EDITORIAL] Batas militar na mismo ang anti-terror law
Jardeleza to SC: Dismiss all anti-terror law petitions | Evening wRap