Kingdom of Jesus Christ founder Pastor Apollo Quiboloy on Sunday warned the public to stop “persecuting, prosecuting and maligning” him, or suffer more from the pandemic.
Earlier this month, US federal authorities filed sex trafficking charges against Quiboloy.
In an address to his followers livestreamed on his YouTube channel, Quiboloy said the Omicron COVID-19 variant is the result of how he is being treated.
“I told you, I’m telling you the truth, the day of the Lord is here. Do not ever ever play a joke or continue to pursue the prosecution of the appointed son because the father in heaven has already declared through the appointed son, no one can escape this,” he declared.
“The way you treated the appointed son here, is the way this world is going to receive its judgment,” he added.
Quiboloy, a close friend and adviser to President Rodrigo Duterte, posted a link to the video on his Facebook page, where he referred to himself as the “Appointed Son.”
“The Delta virus variant of COVID-19 is only an introduction. If you keep on hurting, persecuting, and harming the Appointed Son and the Kingdom, you will see much worse than the Omicron variant,” his post said.
He said the pandemic will only stop if he is freed from his charges.
“You want this to stop? Stop persecuting, prosecuting, maligning and falsely accusing the appointed son,” Quiboloy said.
“If you continue that, the world will suffer… The Delta virus variant of COVID-19 is only an introduction. If you keep on hurting, persecuting, and harming the appointed son and the kingdom, you will see much worse than the Omicron variant,” he added.
The US indictment alleges that Quiboloy and two other defendants recruited females aged 12 to 25 as personal assistants, or “pastorals.” It said they were required to prepare Quiboloy’s meals, clean his residences, give him massages and have sex with him during what they called “night duty.”
In the Philippines, complaints for rape, child abuse and human trafficking had been filed against Quiboloy and five other church members, but it was dropped by the Davao City Prosecutor’s Office in 2020, citing lack of evidence.
Duterte has spoken highly of his friend in the past, even saying in 2019 that he believed Quiboloy stopped an earthquake in Mindanao. Quiboloy said that the public ought to thank him for stopping the quake.
The Department of Justice said there is no extradition request yet filed by the US Embassy in connection with his case. — BM, GMA News
MA. ANGELICA GARCIA,GMA News