ASEANEWS HEADLINE-2028 PH NATIONAL ELECTION | MANILA: VP Sara: I’m running for president in 2028

.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYaKuIKjHV4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuQS5MYZA-M

VP Sara on 2028 presidential bid: I have peacefully accepted my life is unlike any other | ANC

ANC Live (February 18, 2026): Vice President Sara Duterte holds a press conference announcing her presidential bid in 2028
.
.

Fourth impeach case filed vs VP

MANILA, Philippines —  After skirting the issue for months, and ahead of the expected referral of the impeachment complaints against her to the House committee on justice, Vice President Sara Duterte formally declared her presidential bid for 2028 yesterday.

“I cannot kneel before each and every Filipino to beg for forgiveness. Instead, I offer my life, my strength and my future in the service of our nation. Fellow countrymen, let us restore courage and concern for God, for the nation and for each Filipino family. I am Sara Duterte, running for president of the Philippines,” Duterte said at a press conference.

Shortly before her announcement, the official seal of the Office of the Vice President (OVP) was removed.

In her opening statement, Duterte cited Proverbs 19:21, which reads, “Many are the plans in a person’s heart, but it is the Lord’s purpose that prevails.”

.

ADS by:

 Memento Maxima Digital Marketing
@[email protected]
SPACE FOR ADVERTISEMENT

.

Today's Front Page

“It took me 47 years to understand that my life was never meant to be only mine. Unlike others, I may not have been born just to chase happiness. For a long time, I questioned the weight of responsibility to my family, to my country, to everyone who called on me. Today, I have peacefully accepted that my life is unlike any other,” she added.

Duterte previously stated that she will decide on her plans for the 2028 presidential elections by December 2026.

“In the first months of our terms, I saw the lack of loyalty of Bongbong Marcos Jr., on the promises made during the campaign, including his sworn duty to the people. Because I could not bear to be part of the 2025 national budget that was riddled with corruption, I chose to leave the Cabinet, even though I knew since 2023 that the consequence would be my impeachment,” the Vice President said.

Duterte resigned as secretary of the Department of Education on June 19, 2024 after months of souring relations between her and President Marcos and amid investigations into her use of confidential funds at DepEd and the OVP.

.

Daily Tribune (Philippines)

“My fellow countrymen, I apologize. Forgive me if I helped elect BBM as the President of our country. I am sorry that until now many Filipinos are still drowning in the floods because of because of widespread corruption. Forgive me for the abuses of our institutions for the personal interests of the politicians,” she said.
Duterte previously said that the Philippines would no longer be a country by 2028 as it is “drowning” in multiple crises.

She also expressed fear that the day will come when “we will just accept poverty as fate.”

The Vice President did not entertain questions after her announcement.

Meanwhile, the Partido Demokratiko Pilipino (PDP) lauded Duterte’s decision to run for president, with deputy spokesman Ferdinand Topacio saying the party will put all its resources “at her disposal.”

.

ADS by:

 Memento Maxima Digital Marketing
@[email protected]
SPACE FOR ADVERTISEMENT

.

Topacio added that while Duterte is not a member of the PDP, the principles for which she stands “dovetail neatly with the five basic tenets of the PDP: faith in God, promotion of human dignity, enlightened nationalism, prosperity for all and democracy where all the people may participate.”

4th impeach complaint

epaper

A lawyer filed yesterday a fourth impeachment complaint against Duterte before the House of Representatives.

The complaint filed by Nathaniel Cabrera and endorsed by Manila 6th district Rep. Benny Abante and La Union Rep. Paolo Ortega V was received by House secretary general Cheloy Garafil.

In his complaint, Cabrera accused Duterte of committing culpable violation of the Constitution, graft and corruption, malversation of public funds and other high crimes.

Commenting on the new impeachment complaint, Duterte’s defense team said the “successive filing of complaints does not, by mere repetition, transform allegations into truth.”

“As with the previous complaints, we will address the allegations fully and at the proper time, in accordance with the Constitution and the applicable rules,” the defense team added.

Imee backs Sara

 

Following the announcement, presidential sister Sen. Imee Marcos threw her support behind Duterte, saying it formalizes the call of her supporters and unsettles her critics.

In a statement, Marcos said Duterte’s decision “sets in stone” the clamor for her to seek the presidency.

Marcos described the Vice President as the “opposite” of the present administration and a leader who could provide direction amid what she called the country’s lack of clear direction.

She also cited Duterte’s experience in helping the poor, the vulnerable and victims of abuse, saying these equip her to address the nation’s problems.

ADS by:

 Memento Maxima Digital Marketing
@[email protected]
SPACE FOR ADVERTISEMENT
.
.

“She has the solutions,” Marcos said.

The senator has publicly backed the Dutertes after a falling out with her younger brother, President Marcos.

Sen. Robinhood Padilla, a vocal Duterte ally, pushed for a “girl power” tandem, with Imee as Duterte’s running mate.

Asked by reporters if she would be willing to run as vice president to Duterte, Marcos said: “I am blindly obedient to her.”

Sen. Bong Go also backed Duterte, but brushed off talks that he could be her running mate.

“Let us not talk of politics at the moment. Work first. That’s what the Filipinos need now,” he said in a chance interview.

Sought for comment, Senate President Vicente Sotto III said he was no longer surprised.

“It simply confirms what many knew all along. Although we still need to see by October of 2027 what transpires. I do not have a crystal ball,” he told reporters in a Viber message. -Artemio Dumlao, Marc Jayson Cayabyab, Jose Rodel Clapano

 .

Bella Cariaso
The Philippine Star

.
reaction
.
.
It's only fair to share...Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someonePrint this page