.The monitor scanning returning passengers at the Phnom Penh International Airport. KT/Pann Rachana.
“The 2019 Plague” Day 213
According to a press release from the Ministry of Health issued yesterday morning, Cambodia has two new cases of COVID-19 (C-19) bringing the total number to 141.
Both are Cambodian men; a 23-year-old from Krouch Chhmar district, Tboung Khmum province and a 15- year-old teenager from Doeum Mean commune, Kandal province. They returned from Malaysia on a direct flight on June 26 and were tested positive for the virus a day after.
They were admitted to Chak Angre Krom Health Centre in the capital. The other 105 passengers (38 females), including two Malaysian nationals, were tested negative and they are now under the 14-day mandatory quarantine. 103 Cambodians are being housed at Chumpovoan 1’s quarantine centre before being sent to their provinces to be sequestered for a further 14 days. The two Malaysians are in a hotel in Phnom Penh for their quarantine period.
In a statement, minister of Health Mam Bun Heng urged people to be vigilant and to continue to practice social distancing and personal hygiene at all times.
“The severity of COVID-19 must not be overlooked since the virus can cause severe respiratory distress, which can make it difficult for people to breathe until they are starved of oxygen and doctors will have to fight hard to save them,” he said.
The ministry of Public Works and Transport has issued instructions to motorists and passengers to keep continuing to take measures to prevent a second wave of COVID-19, because the Ministry finds most people are neglecting to protect themselves according to the Ministry of Health’s guidelines.
Prime Minister Hun Sen also warned citizens not to forget to protect themselves against the disease and continue with their hygienic practises. The government also urged people to continue following measures to prevent the spread of the virus, warning that a second wave of COVID-19 could occur anytime and anywhere, if guidelines are not followed.
Prom Samon, 55, a company employee said he always kept himself informed about COVID-19 cases and was happy when in the past week there were no new cases. However after hearing about the 11 new cases reported since the weekend, it has made him anxious about his safety, losing his job and worried about his family in Kampong Speu province.
“Even if all the new cases are from abroad, no one has died. With free treatment given to Cambodians I still will not neglect to protect myself by practicing good hygiene and wearing a mask. I will also tell my family to be careful, too,” he said.
The total 141 confirmed cases in the Kingdom include 69 Cambodians, 40 French, 13 Malaysians, five British, three Chinese, three Vietnamese, two Americans, three Indonesians, two Canadians, and one Belgian. Most of them are imported cases.
Of the total patients, 129 have been cured.
Since the first case detected in Preah Sihanouk province in late January, the COVID-19 pandemic has so far hit 13 provinces and capital.
SIGN UP TO RECEIVE OUR EMAIL
The most important news of the day about the ASEAN Countries and the world in one email: [email protected]